Insights > Don’t Fall Back: Take Safety Measures at Home this Season

Don’t Fall Back: Take Safety Measures at Home this Season


As customers cozy up with their favorite pumpkin spiced dish and fuzzy socks, Entergy reminds you to get started on your fall home maintenance and to take additional safety measures in and around your home. Please take a moment to review these common seasonal risks and how you can prevent accidents before they happen.

Candles are an in-home favorite for many, but please remember to never leave a burning candle unattended. A small sputter or an errant flame can cause a fire in an instant.

If you are using a space heater to stay warm, be sure to only use it during waking hours. Space heaters are large consumers of energy and a fire hazard, so you should keep them at least three feet away from draperies, rugs and furniture. Additionally, homeowners who use a gas or electric furnace should schedule an appointment for service by a certified technician to make sure it is safe for operation and for greatest efficiency. All homes should also contain a carbon monoxide detector to help identify the odorless gas, which can cause serious illness or death. Carbon monoxide can be created from fuel-burning faulty home heating or cooling equipment.

A woodburning stove is also a nice way to set a festive mood and warm your home, but be sure to have your chimney cleaned by a professional before the first fire is lit. Fallen leaves, animal nests and other debris can cause the smoke to vent into your home rather than outside and cause a fire. When cleaning up the fallen leaves and broken limbs brought down by brisk autumn breezes, stay away from power lines and always use caution when trimming trees. Position your ladder away from overhead wires, so trimmings will not fall onto power lines. If that happens, assume downed wires are energized and call 1-800-ENTERGY for help.

Louisiana Editorial Team