News Center > Don’t Ghost your Electric Bill
Don’t Ghost your Electric Bill
Ignoring energy efficiency can come back to haunt you
High electric bills can be frightening, but with a little care and attention, they don’t have to be. So, while you’re carving pumpkins and trying on costumes this Halloween season, use these simple tricks to slash your energy usage:
- Vanquish phantom load by turning off appliances and electronics that use power even when you’re not using them. These “vampires” sit in stand-by mode and suck energy that can add to the cost of your bill. Plug these devices into power strips and turn them off regularly with the push of a button.
- Banish sneaky phone chargers and power adapters by unplugging them and whatever they are charging when not needed.
- Trap escaping air from windows and doors by using caulking or weather-stripping leaky areas and closing chimney flues.
- Ward off witches by lowering the heat on that fiery cauldron (aka water heater).
- Scare away ghosts with LED bulbs, which last longer and use less energy than traditional bulbs.
- Guard against evil power surges from lightning or voltage spikes by using surge protectors on expensive electronics and appliances.
- Keep ghouls out of your yard with Entergy security lighting.
- Add a hedge of protection by installing new insulation in walls and attics.
- Treat yourself to a new Energy Star-rated appliance.
You also can save energy and money through valuable rebates and incentives on a variety of energy-efficient appliances, products and upgrades. If you live in Orleans Parish, check out the Energy Smart program, and if you live outside of Orleans Parish, you can benefit from Entergy Solutions – A Louisiana Program.
Entergy New Orleans, LLC is an electric and gas utility that serves Louisiana’s Orleans Parish. The company provides electricity to more than 200,000 customers and natural gas to more than 106,000 customers.
Entergy Louisiana, LLC provides electric service to more than 1 million customers and natural gas service to nearly 93,000 customers in the greater Baton Rouge area. With operations in southern, central and northern Louisiana, the company is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation.
About Entergy Corporation
Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of $11 billion and approximately 13,500 employees.