News Center > Entergy Prepares for Hurricane Harvey
Entergy Prepares for Hurricane Harvey
Company Asks Customers to Prepare for Possible Power Outages
BATON ROUGE, La. – Entergy Louisiana continues to monitor development of Hurricane Harvey and prepare for its potential impact to Louisiana.
Current forecasts say Harvey could make landfall late Friday or early Saturday on the Texas coast. While the storm’s path after landfall is uncertain, Southwest Louisiana is expected to see the heaviest rainfall as the tropical system impacts Louisiana.
Entergy Louisiana crews will be prepared to safely restore service to customers as quickly as possible when conditions permit. Restoration times could be extended in areas with heavy flooding.
“Most importantly, we encourage our customers to include safety in their preparations. Whether it’s spotting a downed wire or other potential hazard after the storm has cleared, be sure to make safety a key ingredient in your storm planning,” said Dennis Dawsey, Entergy’s vice president of customer service in Louisiana.
Customer Safety Tips
- We remind customers to remain safe and stay away from downed power lines and flooded areas. Do not walk in standing water and do not venture into areas of debris, since energized and dangerous power lines may not be visible.
- Customers who inhabit or own property in areas that could be threatened by flooding are encouraged to remove food from freezers and refrigerators and to take appropriate measures to protect belongings from potential water damage.
- We urge customers to prepare for the possibility of extended power outages due to flooding. Customers should prepare emergency preparedness kits, including flashlights, a battery-powered radio with fresh batteries, spare batteries, canned food and a can opener, a supply of fresh water for several days and a first-aid kit.
- If customers have generators, they should read instructions and operate them according to guidelines for their safety and ours.
- We urge customers to use extreme caution when navigating boats in flooded areas around power lines to ensure the boats and their occupants do not come into contact with energized lines.
Stay Prepared and Informed
Just as important to the company as restoring power is the ability to keep customers informed. Entergy does this in a number of ways:
- A free app is available for iPhone or Android at entergyapp.com. Customers can use the app to report outages or check on the status of power at their homes or businesses.
- Entergy’s View Outages website includes maps that show where outages are located and gives information about restoration progress.
- Customers can send and receive text messages about storm and restoration efforts. Signing up is easy: simply text REG to 368374.
- The Entergy Storm Center website has storm safety, preparation, restoration and other information that is regularly updated.
- Operation: Storm Ready is a free downloadable guide that helps customers plan and prepare for weather emergencies.
Social media plays an important role in keeping customers informed, and Entergy places a high priority on keeping social media sites updated throughout a major event. Follow Entergy Louisiana on Twitter at @EntergyLA and on Facebook at facebook.com/EntergyLA.
Entergy Louisiana, LLC provides electric service to more than 1 million customers and natural gas service to more than 93,000 customers in the greater Baton Rouge area. With operations in southern, central and northeastern Louisiana, the company is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation.
Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $10.8 billion and nearly 13,000 employees.