News Center > Keep Your Wallet from Being Scorched by Saving Energy
Keep Your Wallet from Being Scorched by Saving Energy
Summertime brings sunshine and sweltering temperatures, but it doesn’t have to send your energy bill soaring. Before the heat and humidity settle in and the thermometer reaches the “hotter than blue blazes” status, treat your home to a little energy-efficiency tender, loving care.
These affordable and simple tips can help you feel comfortable in your home without scorching your wallet:
- Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree lower than 78 can raise your bill as much as 3%. If you crank down the A/C to a cooler 72 degrees, you’ve already increased your bill by as much as 18%.
- Buy a programmable thermostat. As energy use rises, costs will also rise.
- Use fans to cool off, but remember fans cool people, not rooms. Ceiling fans, box fans and oscillating fans use very little electricity to circulate the air, which helps you feel several degrees cooler. Be sure to turn them off when you leave the room.
- Close blinds, shades and curtains to keep the sun out and the cool air in. You can also close air conditioning vents in rooms that are not in use.
- Seal cracks and holes around doors, windows and ductwork. Weather stripping and caulk will help keep the cold air in and the hot air out.
- Make sure air that’s coming into your home is clean and healthy. Air filters on some air conditioning units require monthly cleaning or replacement. You can also get your A/C inspected to make sure your system is leak-free and operating efficiently. Customers can take advantage of available incentives and schedule an A/C tune-up through the Entergy Solutions program for Entergy Louisiana customers and Energy Smart for New Orleans customers. For savings on energy-efficient products like LED lighting, advanced smart thermostats and air filters, Entergy Louisiana customers can visit the Entergy Solutions Marketplace and Entergy New Orleans customers can visit the Energy Smart Marketplace.
To learn more about energy saving tips and to determine how to cut cost for your specific needs, visit: Entergy.com/savemoney.
Residential customers can find information about bill-payment assistance programs by visiting www.entergy.com/payarrangements, including our shareholder-funded The Power to Care program and the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program.
Visit our COVID-19 information site to learn more about the steps Entergy’s utilities in Louisiana are taking to support and protect customers.
Entergy New Orleans, LLC is an electric and gas utility that serves Louisiana’s Orleans Parish. The company provides electricity to more than 200,000 customers and natural gas to more than 108,000 customers.
Entergy Louisiana, LLC provides electric service to more than 1 million customers and natural gas service to more than 93,000 customers in the greater Baton Rouge area. It has operations in southern, central and northern Louisiana. Both companies are subsidiaries of Entergy Corporation.
Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 8,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of $11 billion and approximately 13,600 employees.