News Center > Making It Through the Heat of Summer: Simple Ways to Get Help with High Bills
Making It Through the Heat of Summer: Simple Ways to Get Help with High Bills
Trying to keep your cool in the dog days of summer can take a chunk of change out of your pocketbook. Even though Entergy Texas has some of the lowest rates in the country, using a lot of electricity -- which most people do in summer -- can lead to high bills.
Besides the outside temperatures, other things can contribute to fluctuations in your bill. This includes the cost of fuel, weather conditions, condition of the structure being cooled, the number of people in the home (more dishes, showers and laundry), the types of appliances used and even fluctuations in the number of days in the month’s billing cycle.
It’s best to be proactive and follow simple energy-saving tips, like setting your thermostat on 78 degrees or higher, using ceiling fans to feel cooler, insulating doors and windows, replacing air filters and using energy efficient light bulbs.
But if it’s too late for that -- at least for this month -- there are ways you can get help managing your costs or even paying your bill.
Here are some ways to manage through the higher costs of keeping cool:
- Level Billing -- Entergy averages your bill over a rolling 12-month period so you have a consistent bill each month of the year. Pay about the same every month, with no surprises.
- Pick-A-Date -- Choose what day of the month you get billed to line up with your budget and manage your cash flow.
- Power to Care -- Through Entergy's The Power to Care program, local nonprofit agencies can provide emergency bill payment assistance to seniors and disabled individuals in crisis. The Power to Care raised more than $511,000 and provided utility bill assistance for more than 2,300 customers in 2018. Fifteen agencies offer the program throughout the Entergy Texas service area.
- LIHEAP—The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a program that provides money to help people with energy bills and other energy-related expenses. LIHEAP is funded through the federal government and works with the community action agencies to help customers pay for and keep electric service in their homes. Click here to see a list of participating LIHEAP agencies or call 1-800-421-0762.
- Beat the Heat Fan Drive – Entergy Texas, Inc. donated hundreds of electric box fans for those in need throughout the company’s service area. Click here for a list of agencies who received the fans.
If you think you’re going to need help with your power bill, don’t delay. Call Entergy’s customer service representatives at 1-800-Entergy (1-800-368-3749) to see what solutions might best “fit the bill.”
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to approximately 450,000 customers in 27 counties. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $11 billion and more than 13,000 employees.