News Center > Six Simple Ways to Make it Through Summer’s Heat
Six Simple Ways to Make it Through Summer’s Heat
NEW ORLEANS -- When it’s hot outside, we want it cool inside. But trying to keep your cool in the dog days of summer can take a chunk of change out of your pocketbook.
Even though Entergy has some of the lowest rates in the country, using a lot of electricity – which most people do in summer – can lead to high bills. After all, air conditioning and heating account for as much as half of your monthly bill. That’s why it’s best to be proactive and follow simple energy-saving tips, like setting your thermostat on 78 degrees or higher; using ceiling fans to feel cooler and sealing cracks around doors and windows.
There also are ways you can get help controlling your costs or even paying your bill. Here are six ways to manage through the higher costs of keeping cool:
- Level Billing – Entergy averages your bill over a rolling 12-month period so you have a consistent bill each month of the year. Pay about the same every month, with no surprises.
- Pick-A-Date – Choose which day of the month you’re billed to line up with your budget and manage your cash flow.
- Deferred Payment – Talk with us about your situation at 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) and we may be able to make deferred payment arrangements.
- Payment Extension – Qualifying customers who need more time to pay their bill can call
1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) or request an extension through myAccount.
- The Power to Care – Through Entergy’s The Power to Care program, local nonprofit agencies can provide emergency bill-payment assistance to seniors and disabled individuals in crisis.
- LIHEAP – The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program is a federal program that provides money to help with energy bills and other energy-related expenses. For information on how to apply for assistance through local community agencies, call 1-800-421-0762 or click here for a list of locations.
If you think you’re going to need help with your power bill, don’t delay. Call Entergy’s customer service representatives at 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) to see what solution might best “fit the bill.”
And before the next bill comes, take a few simple steps to save money by being more energy-efficient, or take advantage of our energy-efficiency programs. In Orleans Parish, visit Energy Smart and in the rest of the metro area outside of Orleans, visit Entergy Solutions. Your wallet will thank you for it.
Entergy New Orleans, LLC is an electric and gas utility that serves Louisiana’s Orleans Parish. The company provides electricity to more than 200,000 customers and natural gas to more than 106,000 customers.
Entergy Louisiana, LLC provides electric service to more than 1 million customers in southern, central and northeastern Louisiana, and natural gas service to more than 93,000 customers in the greater Baton Rouge area. Both companies are subsidiaries of Entergy Corporation.
Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $11 billion and more than 13,000 employees.