Storm Center > Hurricane preparedness begins long before June 1 for Entergy
Hurricane preparedness begins long before June 1 for Entergy
As hurricane season begins, residents across the Entergy service territory are preparing their homes and businesses prior to the potential of a storm hitting. At Entergy, preparations are an ongoing, year-round process.
We continually invest in making our electrical network stronger and more resilient so that when there are outages associated with any weather event, we can return electrical service to our customers as soon as safely possible. Over the past couple of years, improvements have been made to the Entergy system with storm hardening work that includes enhanced pole inspection and replacement, circuit reconfiguration and other targeted measures across the system. This is on top of the hardening work done across Louisiana and Texas in the years post-Hurricane Katrina.
Being storm ready starts with monitoring weather threats 24/7, 365 days a year. When a weather threat is confirmed, Entergy forms early predictions regarding the number of power outages a storm could cause and how long restoration might take based on past experience, weather forecasts and computer modeling.
Assessing damage, deploying personnel to the right place with the right materials and restoring power, are all processes Entergy continually plans for and improves, thanks to ongoing preparedness and training.
Recently, employees across the Entergy system concluded our annual storm drill to make sure all of our procedures are reviewed and updated prior to the beginning of hurricane season. These measures help our employees across our network understand their roles and responsibilities required to do their jobs safely and efficiently in the event of a storm.Just as important as restoring power is the company’s ability to keep customers informed.
Entergy does this in a number of ways:
- An app is available for iPhone or Android at entergy.com/app/. Customers can use the app to report outages or check on the status of power at their home or business.
- Entergy’s View Outages website includes maps that show where outages are located and give information about restoration progress.
- Entergy sends and can receive text messages about storm and restoration efforts. Customers can sign up by texting REG to 368374.
- The Entergy Storm Center website has storm safety, preparation and restoration information that is updated throughout the day.
- Operation: Storm Ready is a free downloadable guide that helps customers plan and prepare for weather emergencies.
- Social media plays an important role in keeping customers informed, and Entergy places a high priority on keeping its social media sites updated throughout an event. Follow Entergy at Twitter: @Entergy and facebook.com/Entergy.
While the hope is that no weather events threaten our area, we understand that the possibility exists, which is why it is important that Entergy employees fully prepared to safely respond.