Storm Center > Entergy Mississippi Prepares for Severe Weather
Entergy Mississippi Prepares for Severe Weather
Entergy Mississippi is preparing to respond to severe weather predicted to strike our service area starting later today. The severe weather could include tornadoes, hail, damaging winds, flash flooding and lightning. Tornadoes are considered the most violent natural storm. They are formed from powerful thunderstorms and often are formed from tropical storms and hurricanes.
We stay prepared to respond to storm outages through a very detailed, rehearsed plan. We are ready to respond to these storms. We have assembled and organized our workforce needed to restore service safely and quickly to our customers and will adjust our plans as needed to restore outages caused by these storms. As part of our preparations, we continue incorporating needed precautions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
When restoration starts, keep in mind that if you don’t see us working near you, we may be working on another part of the electrical system that you can’t see but must be repaired to get power to you.
If you lose power:
- Stay away from downed power lines. You can’t tell from looking at them whether they are energized or not, so assume they are. Report them to 1-800-9OUTAGE.
- Report your power outage online or call 1-800-9OUTAGE. If you report your outage by phone, trust the automated system. It works very well. There is no need to speak with a customer service representative to report an outage.
- If you have a portable generator, use it safely. DO NOT run it in an enclosed space. If connecting to the whole house, do so only if the connection has been installed by a licensed electrician. More information is available on Entergy Stormcenter.
- Do not open your refrigerator or freezer door. Food will stay cold much longer this way.
- Stay clear of linemen as they work.
To stay up to date on outages and restoration:
- Download our free app for your smartphone at com/app.
- Sign up for text alerts by texting REG to 36778 and have your account number and ZIP code handy. The registration pattern is as follows including spaces: REG (account number) (ZIP code). Once registered, text OUT to 36778 to report an outage.
- Visit our “View Outages” page at com.
- Follow us on com/entergyms and Facebook.com/entergyms.
- Call us at 800-9OUTAGE (800-968-8243).
- Follow updates in your local news media, like radio, TV and newspapers.
Customers should be prepared, as well, and should:
- Charge up mobile devices and back-up batteries.
- Review guidance at www.entergystormcenter.com.
- If you have medical equipment that requires electricity to properly function, take necessary steps to secure an alternative source of electricity in the event of a power disruption.
- Have an emergency kit including flashlights, medicine, first aid, blankets, water and food.
- Download the Entergy app and sign up for text updates.
- Report your power outage online to Entergy Mississippi or call 1-800-9OUTAGE.