Insights > 6 Ways to Make Your Home Office Energy Efficient
6 Ways to Make Your Home Office Energy Efficient
Working from home is a growing trend. More than 26 million people in the U.S. do some or all their work at home, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. While this can save time and fuel by reducing your commute, it may increase your home energy use. Improving the energy efficiency of your home office equipment will help you save on utility costs without hampering your productivity.
- Make sure computers and other office equipment are turned off when they're not in use for an extended period.
- Many electronic devices continue to use standby power even after they're turned off. Connect your office equipment to an advanced power strip, which will automatically shut off power to unused devices.
- Set office equipment, such as printers and scanners, to automatically switch to sleep mode when not in use. In addition to saving energy, the equipment will stay cooler, which will help to extend its useful life.
- Use a laptop computer instead of a desktop. Laptops use less than one-third the energy of a typical desktop computer.
- Adjust the thermostat to the unoccupied setting. This avoids wasting energy by conditioning the entire house while you're occupying only a small portion of it. Consider using a ceiling fan to maintain comfort. You can reverse its direction to clockwise in winter, which pushes warm air down.
- Use task lighting with energy-efficient lamps. A desk lamp uses less energy than whole-room lighting.
When purchasing new office equipment, make sure it's ENERGY STAR® qualified. ENERGY STAR certified products use less energy than standard models. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, if every home office product purchased in the U.S. were ENERGY STAR qualified, Americans would save an estimated $75 million a year in energy costs.
Did you know that Entergy offers energy efficiency programs designed to help customers conserve both energy and money? Learn more about what's available in your area.
And for our customers in Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi, Entergy offers online marketplaces where you can find great deals on products and supplies that help you increase your energy efficiency and save money.
Content provided for Entergy customers, Powered by Questline RelationshipBuilder. © Questline Inc.