Insights > Entergy Mississippi Winter Storm Update – 2/23/21 @ 11 a.m.
Entergy Mississippi Winter Storm Update – 2/23/21 @ 11 a.m.
As of 9:30 a.m., about 1,000 customers remain without power, down from a peak of about 90,000. The outages were caused by a winter storm that swept through Entergy Mississippi’s service area on Wednesday, Feb. 17. Both Entergy Mississippi crews and additional workers are restoring power as quickly and safely as possible. We expect the majority of customers will be restored this afternoon.
If your power is still out, we know you want to know when your area will be restored. A community update is available on the banner at the top of the Entergy Stormcenter View Outages page. The information posted in the banner link at the top of the page is updated several times each day.
We understand any time without power is difficult and we appreciate your patience as we work through the restoration process. Remaining outages are scattered across our service area. It takes time to restore such widespread outages.
Last week’s icy weather caused significant equipment damage, including 147 broken poles, 1,081 spans of wire down and 46 damaged transformers. Some of the damaged equipment is difficult to reach and we have brought in special equipment to access those areas.
- A span of wire measures about 250-300 feet in length. The number of spans downed in this storm is equivalent to about 56 miles of wire.
- Under ideal circumstances, a crew can replace a broken pole in about three hours. The number of broken power poles found in this storm could take crews more than 430 hours to replace.
Restoration work is proceeding as safely as possible. Crews continue to take additional safety measures, including practicing social distancing. We ask customers to do the same. For their safety and yours, please stay away from our work zones.
You can also use these tips to stay safe and keep in touch:
- Stay away from downed power lines. You can’t tell from looking at them whether they are energized or not, so assume they are. Report them to 1-800-9OUTAGE.
- Report your power outage online or call 1-800-9OUTAGE. If you report your outage by phone, trust the automated system. There is no need to speak with a customer service representative to report an outage.
- If you have a portable generator, use it safely. DO NOT run it in an enclosed space. If connecting to the whole house, do so only if the connection has been installed by a licensed electrician. More information is available on Entergy Stormcenter.
- Stay clear of linemen as they work. Our crews continue to practice social distancing and we ask that customers do the same.
Stay in touch
- Download the Entergy app for Apple or Android operating systems at Entergy.com/app.
- Register for address-specific text alerts by texting REG to 36778. Customers will need an account number and ZIP code. Once registered, text OUT to 36778 to report an outage.
- Follow Entergy Mississippi at Facebook.com/EntergyMS or Twitter.com/EntergyMS.
- Follow updates in local news media, including radio, television and newspapers.
We appreciate your patience as we work to safely restore power. For more tips and storm updates, visit stormcenter.entergy.com.