Insights > Entergy New Orleans Storm Update – 5/12/21 @ 5 p.m.
Entergy New Orleans Storm Update – 5/12/21 @ 5 p.m.
According to the National Weather Service, an EF0 tornado passed through the New Orleans Uptown area and Algiers early this morning, resulting in severe damage to those areas.
At its peak, the storm caused 10,000 outages throughout the New Orleans area. In addition to Entergy New Orleans’ base restoration crews, we had approximately 150 additional crew members helping to restore power. Assessments include 30 poles down and 12 transformers damaged as a result of the severe weather.
As of 5 p.m., approximately 1,600 customers remain without of power with the majority of those in Uptown and Algiers.
Number of outages as of 4 p.m.: 669
Estimated restoration: We expect the majority of customers who can accept power to be restored by 9 p.m., May 12.
Number of outages as of 4 p.m.: 704
Estimated restoration: We expect the majority of customers who can accept power to be restored by 10 p.m., May 12.
Safety is our number one priority. If you lose power:
- Stay away from downed power lines and assume they are energized. Report them to 1-800-9OUTAGE.
- Report your power outage online to Entergy New Orleans or call 1-800-9OUTAGE. There is no need to speak with a customer service representative to report an outage if completed online.
- If you have a portable generator, use it safely. DO NOT run it in an enclosed space. If connecting to the whole house, do so only if the connection has been installed by a licensed electrician to prevent back feed on to the distribution system.
- If you do lose power, do not open your refrigerator or freezer door. Food will stay cold much longer this way. If outside temperature is below freezing, consider placing food in an ice chest outside.
- Please stay clear of linemen as they work to safely restore power
- Customers without power can help in the restoration process by turning off major appliances but leaving on a lamp or other light to indicate when power is restored. Then, gradually turn other appliances to spread out the increase in power usage over a longer time.
We continuously keep our communities informed throughout a storm using the following channels:
- Download our free app for your smartphone at entergy.com/app.
- Sign up for text alerts. From your cellphone text REG to 36778.
- Visit the Entergy Storm Center website and our View Outages page.
- Follow us on Twitter.com/entergynola or Facebook.com/entergynola.
- Call us at 800-9OUTAGE (800-968-8243).
- Follow updates in your local news media like radio television and newspapers.