Insights > Extreme temperatures lead to increased energy usage
Extreme temperatures lead to increased energy usage
Entergy Texas offers variety of bill management and assistance options to help customers save energy and money
Icy roads, freezing rain, and wind chills below freezing—these are just a few of the winter weather conditions impacting Texas at the start of the new year. According to the National Weather Service, parts of our 27-county service area in Southeast Texas recently experienced temperatures 20 to 30 degrees below normal, with some Texans seeing temperatures in the teens.
Extremely cold weather typically leads to increased electricity usage, because families are doing all they can to stay warm. At times like this, it’s important to remember that the bigger the difference between inside and outside temperatures, the more energy is used, which affects your bill. In fact, cooling and heating costs make up about ~55% of an average customer’s electric bill.
Entergy Texas is committed to helping our customers during extreme weather, which is why we offer a variety of bill payment assistance and energy efficiency programs to help customers stay cool and keep their bill affordable.
Bill management resources
We offer several billing and payment options to fit your needs. Choose when, where and how you pay your utility bill with our bill management resources, which include:
- Understanding my bill: We redesigned the Entergy bill to help make it easier to understand. Learn more at entergy.com/bill.
- Level billing: We average bills over a rolling 12-month period, so you have a more consistent bill each month of the year. Enroll at myentergy.com/s/levelbill.
- Pick-A-Date: Choose what day of the month you get billed to line up with your budget and cash flow. Learn more at myentergy.com/s/pickdate.
- PaperFREE: Get your bill delivered directly to your email as soon as it posts. Learn more at myentergy.com/s/paperfree.
- AutoPay: Avoid late fees, writing checks and paying for postage by having your bills automatically deducted from your bank account. Learn more at myentergy.com/s/autopay.
Resources for customers in need
For customers experiencing financial hardship, we offer a variety of bill assistance options, including:
- The Power to Care: Through a network of nonprofit agencies, The Power to Care helps pay utility bills of those facing extreme temperatures with no way to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Learn more at myentergy.com/s/powertocare.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program: Funded through the federal government, LIHEAP helps low-income households meet their home energy costs by making payments on the customers’ behalf directly to energy suppliers. Visit entergy.com/bill-help to learn how to apply for assistance.
- Deferred payment: Talk with us about your situation and we may be able to make deferred payment arrangements. Request a deferred payment arrangement through myEntergy or by calling 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) and following our automated response system menu.
- Payment extension: Qualifying customers who need a few extra days to pay their bill can request an extension through myEntergy or by calling 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) and following our automated response system menu.
The Entergy app is also available for Android and iPhone operating systems at entergy.com/app and can be used for your convenience to pay bills, monitor your usage and more.