Insights > Ring In 2022 Safely
Ring In 2022 Safely
As holiday lights are replaced with firework displays, remember to celebrate the new year safely. A trip to the emergency room is the last way you want to start 2022.
The easiest and safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals. However, if you decide to put on your own show, follow these safety tips:
- Confirm that fireworks are legal in your area and that no burn bans are in effect before buying or using fireworks.
- Buy fireworks from reputable dealers, and store them in a cool, dry place.
- Know your fireworks. Read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- Before setting off fireworks, make sure you’re in a wide-open outdoor area, staying clear of utility lines, vehicles and trees.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that don’t fully ignite. Wait 20 minutes, then soak them in a bucket of water before disposal.
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Remember, sparklers burn at temperatures up to 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals, and definitely hot enough to cause a third-degree burn.
- Bring your pets inside. Loud noises and bright lights are frightening.
- Use television or radio sounds to mute loud noises indoors. This will help pets stay calm and comforted.
For more safety tips, visit the website of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.