News Release > Deck the halls safely with lighting decoration tips
Deck the halls safely with lighting decoration tips
A few tips on how to safely decorate for the holidays inside and outside your home
THE WOODLANDS, Texas – The holidays are right around the corner, which means most of us will soon grab boxes of seasonal decorations out of storage. While ‘tis the most wonderful time of the year, Entergy Texas is sharing safety tips customers should consider when lighting their homes for holiday celebrations.
Bright lights and seasonal candles are staples during the holidays, but it’s important to note that these decorations can be dangerous. According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly one in five Christmas tree fires started from decorative lights, and eight percent of tree fires started from candles.
Put safety first this holiday season with a few simple reminders and precautions when it comes to decorating inside and outside your home.
- If using a live tree, make sure it is fresh and green with needles that are hard to pull from the branches.
- Place the tree in a stand with water, well away from heaters or the fireplace. Check water daily.
- Examine all lights before putting them on the tree or using them in other home decorations. Do not use lights with frayed wiring or loose sockets, and make sure they have been tested for safety by an independent testing laboratory.
- For greater efficiency and safety, use smaller, cool-burning LED lights.
- Make sure all light sockets have bulbs in them. Children are fascinated by lights and could put their fingers in empty sockets.
- Keep bulbs from touching tree branches. Never burn candles on or near the tree and never use flammable decorations.
- Never use lights on a metallic tree. If the lights become faulty, the entire tree could be electrified.
- Be careful not to overload extension cords, outlets or even whole circuits in the house.
- Turn off decorative lighting when you leave the room.
- Place wires where they cannot trip anyone. Do not run them under rugs.
- Make sure the lights used are designated for outdoor use.
- Use a non-conducting fiberglass or wooden ladder when working with strings of lights. Also, stay clear of all overhead wires.
- Do not replace bulbs when the electricity is on.
- Never let light bulbs touch flammable materials such as plastic or dry grass and leaves.
- For outside use, work only with three-wire grounded extension cords.
- Use rubber gaskets in light sockets or hang sockets downward to keep water out.
- Keep connections and lights off the ground by hanging them over wooden stakes. Turn outside holiday lights off when away from home or asleep.
For more tips on how to practice lighting and decoration safety during the holiday season, visit the National Fire Protection Association website.
About Entergy Texas
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to more than 486,000 customers in 27 counties. Entergy Texas is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in New Orleans. Entergy powers life for 3 million customers through its operating companies across Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy is creating a cleaner, more resilient energy future for everyone with our diverse power generation portfolio, including increasingly carbon-free energy sources. With roots in the Gulf South region for more than a century, Entergy is a recognized leader in corporate citizenship, delivering more than $100 million in economic benefits to local communities through philanthropy and advocacy efforts annually over the last several years. Our approximately 12,000 employees are dedicated to powering life today and for future generations. For the latest news from Entergy, visit the Newsroom.