News Center > Entergy Mississippi is Ready for Spring Storm Season---Are You?
Entergy Mississippi is Ready for Spring Storm Season---Are You?
JACKSON, Mississippi–Weather has been anything but reliable in the Deep South this winter, so it is tempting to think the coming spring with its warmer temperatures and brightly colored flowers will be a welcome respite.
While spring can be warm and wonderful, it can also be wild and wooly. Tornadoes, lightning, high winds, flash flooding, severe thunderstorms and even hail can accompany the change in seasons. Of course, such extreme weather can also cause power outages and downed power lines.
February 19-23 is Mississippi Severe Weather Preparedness Week. Entergy Mississippi prepares year-round for volatile weather and encourages you to prepare, too.
“We monitor the weather 24/7, and when severe weather threatens, we mobilize our crews for outage restoration,” said Robbin Jeter, Entergy Mississippi vice president of customer service. “Everyone should have their own plan in place before severe weather threatens that accounts for all family members, including pets.”
Make a Plan, Assemble a Kit
First, ensure that you have multiple ways of getting severe weather warnings:
- Install a smart phone app that will alert you to severe weather in the area or sign up for emergency alerts on your smart phone.
- Have a weather radio with a loud alarm that will wake you when severe weather threatens at night.
- Download the free Operation: Storm Ready guide from Entergy’s website. This booklet has a checklist of what a kit should include so you don’t overlook anything important.
Know How to Communicate with Entergy
There are several ways to report outages or downed power lines:
- Call 1-800-9OUTAGE (1-800-968-8243)
- Check the View Outages map on Entergy’s website or app for outage info and, if available, cause and estimated restoration time
- Download the free Entergy app for Apple or Android to check power at your home or business and to report outages
- Visit the Entergy Storm Center for updates and information
- Register for MyAccountAnywhere to get outage info on your mobile phone and to send and receive texts.
“Despite our best efforts to reduce the likelihood of outages during bad weather, storms can be powerful and unpredictable,” said Jeter. “Be prepared and have everything you need in one central location if you lose power, including a way to notify us of the outage. This will help you be more comfortable and will also instill order and safety while our crews restore service.”
Entergy Mississippi, Inc. provides electricity to approximately 447,000 customers in 45 counties. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $10.8 billion and nearly 13,000 employees.