News Center > Entergy Rolls Out $74,000 in Grants to Fuel Stronger Communities in Mississippi
Entergy Rolls Out $74,000 in Grants to Fuel Stronger Communities in Mississippi
JACKSON, Miss. – The volume on Mississippi tourism attractions is turning up thanks to a grant from the Entergy Charitable Foundation for the new Brandon Amphitheatre. The 9,000 capacity venue along Interstate 20 will attract premier performers and audiences.
Grants to the City of Brandon and ten other nonprofit organizations in communities served by Entergy Mississippi, Inc. totaled $74,000 in the foundation’s first round of 2017 awards.
Requests for funding through the Entergy Charitable Foundation are reviewed twice annually. Applications for the second grant cycle can be submitted through Aug. 1 here. “
“We are proud to power life in our communities in ways that go beyond powering the electric grid," said Valarie Mabry, Entergy Mississippi public affairs analyst. "By providing support to local nonprofits, we are creating a circuit of community partnerships that help build a better community."
Among the Mississippi programs supported in the first round of 2017 Entergy Charitable Foundation grants are:
- Delta State University Foundation's Bologna Performing Arts Center school-time matinee series.
- The Mississippi Children’s Museum’s 2017 fall festival celebrating literature and reading.
- The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science’s summer enrichment program for science, technology, engineering and math studies.
- Social service programs for the Salvation Army in Greenville and Greenwood.
- United Way of West Central Mississippi’s LIVE UNITED program, aimed at making a positive impact on education, financial stability and health for local residents.
- The Vicksburg Warren School District’s college and career academies program aimed at developing a skilled job-ready workforce.
A complete list of 2017 grant awards can be found here. In 2016, Entergy shareholders awarded approximately $19 million through various grant programs to almost 3,000 nonprofits in communities where Entergy operates. Of that 2016 total, the Entergy Charitable Foundation grants focus on education, poverty solutions and environmental programs that improve the quality of life in communities served by Entergy. Learn more about our community investments here.
Entergy Mississippi, Inc. provides electricity to approximately 445,000 customers in 45 counties. It is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $10.8 billion and nearly 13,000 employees.