News Center > Entergy Texas Prepares to Respond to Outages
Entergy Texas Prepares to Respond to Outages
Entergy Texas is closely monitoring the weather, and is prepared to respond to outages should severe weather impact our region Saturday night and into Sunday morning.
Following Thursday’s severe weather, Entergy Texas has restored nearly all of the 31,000 outages. The company activated more than 300 contractors to assist with the restoration. Those crews remain on standby to respond to any additional severe weather this weekend.
Entergy Texas knows how essential power is to customers, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. The company has a detailed, rehearsed plan to assemble and organize the workforce needed to safely and quickly restore service if affected by these storms.
“During these challenging and uncertain times, we know how critical power is to the communities we serve,” said Stuart Barrett, vice president of customer service for Entergy Texas. “We are making necessary preparations to respond to outages, and we’ll continue to deliver for our customers and communities despite the circumstances.”
The company’s plans include maintaining additional safety precautions during the COVID-19 pandemic, such as adjusting crew staging locations to help team members maintain social distancing. As with all storm preparation, part of the planning is ensuring an adequate supply of utility poles, transformers and wires, for example. Because of the current landscape with COVID-19, there's added safety equipment and measures to consider, such as masks and hand sanitizer.
As Entergy Texas responds to these storms, and anytime customers see workers in the field, they should stay away from their work zones. This helps ensure everyone’s safety. If customers need to report a problem with their service or get bill payment help, they should call: 1-800-ENTERGY.
Here is how you can get information:
- Download our app for your smartphone at entergy.com/app.
- Sign up for text alerts. From your cellphone, text R-E-G to 368374.
- Visit the Entergy Storm Center website and our View Outages
- Follow us on Twitter or Facebook.
- Call us at 800-9OUTAGE (800-968-8243).
- Follow updates in your local news media, like radio, television and newspapers.
As you make your own preparations:
- Charge battery-operated devices such as smartphones in advance of the storms.
- Follow instructions from emergency management officials.
- Make sure you have basic emergency and first aid supplies. Find out more on the Entergy Storm Center
- Limit opening your refrigerator during an outage to keep food colder for a longer period.
- Freeze containers of water for ice to help keep food cold in the freezer if your power goes out.
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to approximately 461,000 customers in 27 counties. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $11 billion and more than 13,000 employees.