News Center > Save Energy, Don’t Scorch Your Wallet
Save Energy, Don’t Scorch Your Wallet
How to keep your summer energy bills from soaring
JACKSON, Mississippi – Summertime brings sunshine and sweltering temperatures, but it doesn’t have to send your energy bill soaring. Before the heat and humidity settle in and the thermometer reaches “hotter than blue blazes” status, treat your home to a little energy-efficiency tender, loving care.
These affordable and simple tips can help you feel comfortable in your home without scorching your wallet.
- Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree lower than 78 can raise your bill as much as 3%. If you crank down the A/C to a cooler 72 degrees, you’ve already increased your bill by 18%.
- Buy a programmable thermostat. As energy use rises, costs also rise. (Get up to a $75 incentive on select advanced smart thermostats.)
- Use fans to cool off, but remember – fans cool people, not rooms. Ceiling fans, box fans and oscillating fans use very little electricity to circulate the air, which helps you feel several degrees cooler. To save more energy, be sure to turn them off when you leave the room.
- Close blinds, shades and curtains to keep the sun out and the cool air in. Also, close air conditioning vents in rooms that are not in use.
- Seal cracks and holes around doors, windows and ductwork. Weather stripping and caulk will help keep the cold air in and the hot air out.
- Make sure air coming into your home is clean and healthy. Air filters on some air conditioning units require monthly cleaning or replacement. You can also get your A/C inspected to make sure your system is leak-free and operating as efficiently as possible. Take advantage of available incentives for Entergy Mississippi customers and schedule an A/C tune-up through our Entergy Solutions program.
- Visit Entergy Solutions Marketplace for savings on energy-efficient products like LED lighting, advanced smart thermostats, advanced power strips and air filters.
- Access entergy.com/savemoney for energy-saving tips and calculators that will help you determine the best cost-cutting scenarios to suit your needs.
“Practicing any of these tips can help you save energy and money, which we know is especially important for customers who are struggling to pay their bills due to COVID-19,” said Lea Turnipseed, Entergy Mississippi vice president of customer service. “We understand and have developed resources to help those experiencing financial hardship, including creating information hubs on our website, offering bill payment solutions and supporting agencies that are fulfilling basic needs for those impacted by the coronavirus outbreak.”
Residential customers can find information about bill-payment assistance programs, including our shareholder-funded The Power to Care program and the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), as well as the Entergy Mississippi COVID-19 Relief Fund, and links to local, state and federal assistance resources on our customer resource site.
Visit our COVID-19 Information site to learn more about the steps Entergy Mississippi is taking to support and protect customers.
Entergy Mississippi, LLC provides electricity to approximately 450,000 customers in 45 counties. Entergy Corporation (NYSE: ETR) is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including 8,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of $11 billion and approximately 13,600 employees.