Storm Center > Entergy Mississippi prepares for more severe weather
Entergy Mississippi prepares for more severe weather
Company asks customers to prepare for possible power outages
JACKSON, Miss. – Entergy Mississippi is monitoring the progress of severe weather moving into its service territory and is preparing for the possibility that powerful storms could affect customers Friday afternoon and into the evening.
The weather system is capable of causing widespread and extended power outages from high winds and possible tornadoes, particularly in the northern central regions of the state. Entergy crews and contractors are prepared to work long hours after the storm passes, restoring service to customers as quickly and as safely as possible.
Entergy Mississippi urges customers to prepare for the possibility of extended power outages. Take the time now to get your personal storm plans in place and make a kit with the basic supplies needed in an emergency. Customers should prepare emergency preparedness kits, including flashlights, a battery-powered radio with fresh batteries, spare batteries, canned food and a can opener, a supply of fresh water for several days, and a first-aid kit. Learn more about how to make an emergency kit and get important severe weather safety tips on the Entergy Storm Center.
Staying informed before, during and after a storm strikes is just as important as making personal storm plans. Here’s how you can stay up to date on our preparations and restoration efforts:
- Download the Entergy Customers can use the app to report outages or check on the status of power at their home or business.
- Check Entergy’s View Outages Maps show where outages are located and give information about restoration progress.
- Follow Entergy on Facebook and Twitter. Social media also plays an important role in keeping you informed, and we place a high priority on updating our social media channels throughout an event.
- Text us: If you are signed up to receive our notifications, you can text OUT to 36778 to report an outage or STAT for the status of your power outage. To sign up for text messaging, go to com or by texting REG to 36778. Have your account number and ZIP code handy. The registration pattern is as follows including spaces: REG (account number) (ZIP code).
- Visit the Entergy Storm Center The site has storm safety, preparation and restoration information that is updated throughout the day.
- Download the Operation: Storm Ready Guide. This guide will help you plan and prepare for weather emergencies. Information is also available in Spanish and Vietnamese.
Customers should also exercise extreme caution in assessing damages to their home or business after the storm, as even downed power lines can still be live and cause extreme injury and additional damages. Stay away from downed power lines and beware of piles of debris that may obscure downed lines.
Entergy Mississippi will begin restoring power to customers as safely and quickly as possible after the storm passes. The restoration process is done in an orderly, deliberate manner.
Right after the storm passes, and when it’s safe to do so, crews assess damage to electric equipment and facilities to determine what corrective actions and repairs are needed.
As damage assessments are completed, the company can provide restoration time estimates; however, where possible, restoration happens in parallel. Power is restored faster in areas with less damage, while restoration times in the hardest hit areas depend on the extent of damage to Entergy’s electrical facilities.
Following the storm, check Entergy’s View Outages map for the latest information about restoration progress.
Entergy Mississippi, LLC provides electricity to approximately 461,000 customers in 45 counties. Entergy Mississippi is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in New Orleans. Entergy powers life for 3 million customers through its operating companies across Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy is creating a cleaner, more resilient energy future for everyone with our diverse power generation portfolio, including increasingly carbon-free energy sources. With roots in the Gulf South region for more than a century, Entergy is a recognized leader in corporate citizenship, delivering more than $100 million in economic benefits to local communities through philanthropy and advocacy efforts annually over the last several years. Our approximately 12,000 employees are dedicated to powering life today and for future generations. For the latest news from Entergy, visit the Newsroom.