News Center > Tulips and Tornadoes—Severe Weather as Certain as Flowers in Spring
Tulips and Tornadoes—Severe Weather as Certain as Flowers in Spring
JACKSON, Mississippi – Severe thunderstorms. Flash flooding. Tornadoes. Hail.
Spring can be warm and wonderful, but the change in seasons can also be wild and wooly. Such extreme weather can cause power outages and bring down power lines.
Entergy Mississippi prepares year-round for these disruptive events. Employees monitor the weather round-the-clock, and when severe weather threatens, crews mobilize for outage restoration.
"We encourage customers to prepare, too,” said Lea Turnipseed, Entergy Mississippi vice president of customer service. “Severe weather can develop quickly. Once that happens, it’s too late to start working on a preparedness plan. Advance planning and staying weather aware helps ensure you survive these storms, which can sometimes be deadly.”
Entergy can help you prepare with these tips on how to make a plan and a kit. Once that is in place, ensure that you have several ways of getting severe weather warnings:
- Install a smart phone app that will alert you to severe weather in the area or sign up for emergency alerts on your smart phone.
- Have a weather radio with a loud alarm that will wake you when severe weather threatens at night.
Once a storm hits, know how to communicate with Entergy if you need help. There are several ways to report outages or downed power lines:
- Call 1-800-9OUTAGE (1-800-968-8243)
- Check the View Outages map on Entergy’s website or app for outage info and, if available, cause and estimated restoration time
- Download the free Entergy app for Apple or Android to check power at your home or business and to report outages
- Visit the Entergy Storm Center for updates and information
- Register for MyAccountAnywhere to get outage info on your mobile phone and to send and receive texts.
“We work hard to stop outages before they happen, but storms can be powerful and unpredictable,” said Turnipseed. “Being prepared and having everything you need in one central location, including a way to notify us, will help you be more comfortable during an outage. It will also instill order and safety while our crews restore service.”
Entergy Mississippi, LLC provides electricity to approximately 449,000 customers in 45 counties. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $11 billion and more than 13,000 employees.